In the earlier parts of this chapter, Jesus has given us three areas of Christian living where we are to act in secret so that our Father may reward us openly (giving to the poor, praying and fasting). Now he shows us the differences between worldly treasures and heavenly treasures. We look at the passage and ask questions such as:
- What does He mean by ‘treasures’?
- In what ways are heavenly treasures better than earthly ones?
- Why does Jesus use the concept of having clear sight or poor sight as an illustration for this subject?
- Why is it impossible to have treasure in both places and to seek to serve God and the world?
- Where are you storing up your treasures?