Resuming our studies in Matthew, we look at ‘The Golden Rule’ - to treat others as we ourselves would be treated. We consider the following aspects:
- Just how would we like to be treated by others in various situations?
- How does this teaching summarize all that Jesus has said so far?
- How does it contrast with the general behavior of groups to whom Jesus was speaking (such as the Pharisees)?
- How does all this tie in with the Law of God? Can we who are sinners live like this?
- Where can we get the help we need to be able to live like this?
We are directed back to God as the only One who can supply our needs so that we might live the godly and holy lives He calls us to.