We examine the listing of the names of the 12 Apostles that Jesus chose. We see:
- They were clothed with authority by Christ - Scriptures were to come through them.
- They were not forgotten by the Lord for all their labors for Him.
- They were ordinary men - the Lord uses weak vessels to better glorify His name.
- Many were related to each other by human family ties - even though the Gospel often divides families, it can also enhance those bonds where members of a family come to Christ.
- They went out in pairs - the Lord intends His workers to mutually support and encourage one another.
- Their number was symbolic - it shows that there is one church and one true Israel of God - making up the true believers in all ages, Jews and Gentiles alike.
In each case, the significance of these things is applied to us today.