We discover that one purpose of God for the shipwreck we considered last week was that the Gospel might come to the people of Malta. From this passage, we see:
- The kindness of the natives - showing us that God’s common grace is at work in some degree in all men but the kindness of unbelievers should not be taken as a sign they are saved.
- The miracles done on Malta, which confirmed to the people that Paul was speaking the Word of God.
We apply these events in 3 ways:
- The Gospel is God’s Word, the only message by which we must be saved.
- Common grace is not enough to save anyone, no matter what apparently good works may result from it.
- God is a missionary God who wants His Gospel preached to every people group on earth. We must do what we can to get the Gospel out in obedience to His command