We begin a new section in the Sermon on the Mount by seeing how Jesus’ sermon was aimed to correct the false teaching of the day and to restore a true understanding of how God would have His people live.
In a detailed look at the first two verses of Matthew 7, we consider the following questions:
- What does Jesus mean when He says we should not judge?
- Does this mean we should set aside all discernment and never make evaluations of people or teachings?
- What is the principle on which justice operated in the Bible?
- Who will condemn us if we condemn others?
- Does our forgiveness of others and restraint from condemning them earn our salvation?
- What does it mean if we habitually condemn others?
- What encouragement can we take if we are able to resist the temptation to condemn?
Finally, we are pointed to Christ as the only One who can save us from a condemning spirit, and therefore from the condemnation of God both in this world and on the Last Day.